Camolin Parish


Go to content

Main menu:


Parish Churches

Parish Information > Vocations > Church

Church Of The Immaculate
Conception, Camolin


The church was built by Patrick
O' Connor of Wexford and
was dedicated by Bishop
Thomas Furlong on Sunday,
December 19th, 1858. It is a
barn-type building, with a
belfry on the entrance gable
and a porch. It is plastered
externally with granite quoins
and dressings.
There are six lancer windows on
each side, installed in 1955,
incorporating the symbols of the
evangelists, the Marian monogram,
the shrine of St. Patrick's Bell, the
Cross of Cong, etc. In the sanctuary
there is a Gothic window with a
curved transom underneath in
which is inserted a painting of
the Crucifixion. A lancent window on
the left of the large window
represents the Immaculate
Conception and another
on the right - hand side depicts St.
Joseph. These date from 1916. Two
modern stained - glass windows in
the porch date from 1988 when a
major refurbishment was carried
out under the direction of Brian
O' Connell, Dublin. The Stations
Of The Cross date from about
1860. The entrance gable features
three niches occupied by statues.
Shortly aftrer Ballyoughter/Camolin
had been set up as a separate
parish, a new high altar was
installed in May 1876. Extensive
alterations were carried out in
1906, including the erection of
a new gallery.
After Vatican 11 the sanctuary
was re-arranged in accordance
with the revised norms.
After the retirement of Canon
Nicholas Cardiff in January 1970,
Camolin became the centre of the
parish, and Camolin church
replaced that of Ballyoughter as
the parish church.

Church Of St. Moling,
Ballycanew

Towards the end of the
eighteenth century, a church
stood on the site of what was
Furney's Mill. The curate was
Fr. Michael Murphy, killed at
the batle of Arklow on the 9th
of June 1798. This church was
burned during the Rising and
for years the inhabitants had
to travel to Ballyoughter to
attend Mass. Between 1840
and 1846 an attempt was
made to build a church but
the project was never
completed through lack of
funds.
The foundation stone of the
present Church of St. Moling
was laid on the 13th of March
1912 on almost the same site
as the intended 1840's build-
ing. It was dedicated by Bishop
James Browne on September
6th. 1913, the sermon on the
occasion given by Rev. Richard
Walsh, MSS. The architect was
George O' Connor, Dublin, who
had designed Oulart Church a
few years earlier.
It is a plain building of
Romanesque design with a
handsome wooden ceiling.
Built of stone, with red brick
dressings and buttresses, the
entrance gable has been
plastered. It was described at
the time of building as being
75 feet long and 30 feet wide;
the walls eighteen feet high.
The entrance gable is
surmounted by a belfry 65 feet
high, and a niche over the door
holds a statue of St. Moling.
In 1990, in the curacy of
Fr. Joe Kavanagh it was
completely renovated and
rededicated on 24th March
1991 by Bishop Brendan
Comiskey.

Church Of The Sacred Heart,
Ballyoughter

The foundation stone of the
present church of the Sacred
Heart at Ballyoughter was laid
on the 12th of March, 1874 by
the Administrator, Rev. Henry
Williams, in the presence of
Bishop Furlong who urged the
parishioners to throw themselves
generously into the work of
building the new church. Seven
months later, on October 11th
1876, it was dedicated to the
Sacred Heart. On the occasion,
the sermon was given by the
Rev. John Lambert Furlong,
Administrator of Enniscorthy.
It is a handsome stone building
of Gothic design with a small
campanile surmounting the
entrance gable. The architect
was George Ashlin, pupil and
son-in-law of Agustus Welby
Pugin. The
Irish Builder for
June 15th 1874 gave a detailed
description of the new church:
The internal dimensions are 70
feet by 30 feet, chancel, 20 feet
by sixteen feet. The roof is open
sheeted, with arched principals.
The walling is of local brownestone,
with dressings of a white sandstone
obtained from a quarry in the
neighbourhood.
In 1976, in the curacy of Fr. John
Nolan, the church was renovated,
a new altar, doors and windows,
being installed, and a new floor laid.
It was rededicated on Thursday,
19th of August, that year.

Home Page | Parish Information | Funnies | Lourdes | Sacred Pages | Children's Reflections | Parish Organisations | | Notice Board | Genealogy | World Day Of The Sick | Child Protection | Site Map


"Today is "Updated on Sep 13 2017 | josephkav@eircom.net

Back to content | Back to main menu