PRIESTS OF CAMOLIN PARISH.............1676 -
Parish Priests to the death of Rev. Francis Kavanagh.
Rev. Daniel Kavanagh...........................1676 - 1716
Rev. Bryan Redmond.............................1717 - 1739
Rev. Henry Masterson...........................1740 - 1767
Rev. Francis Kavanagh..........................1767 - 1805
Rev. Daniel Kavanagh (1676 - 1716)
He was ordained in Vazas in France on 24th March 1674. He was PP in the district until 1716. In 1704 he registered himself as PP Kilnahue, Kilmakilloge, Kiltennel, Ballycanew, Tomb and Rossminogue. He had a "Mass - House" in Glandoran.
Rev. Bryan Redmond (1717 - 1739)
He was PP Rossminogue and Leskenfere from 1717 - 1739
Rev. Henry Masterson (1740 - 1767)
He was PP from 1740 - 1767. In the government report of 1743 -4, by Abel Ram, Fr. Henry Masterson is described as Popish Priest of Clough, lodging with a Morgan Darcy.
On his visitation of the parish in 1853, Bishop Sweetman had some criticisms to make. "His ornaments were decent enough, but he was at odds with his flock, thro' his own fault, as he built and threw down chapels in his district, or caused it to be done unaccountably without the Ordinary's leave, nay, applied to Protestants for said purposes: and abused his flock for applying for justice to the Ordinary. N.B. The Ordinary was informed that the said Masterson himself killed a lamb for the dinner he gave his superior that day, whcih was very indecent and unbecoming of a clergyman.
Rev. Francis Kavanagh (1767 - 1805)
He was PP from 1767 - 1805. He was educated on the continent, was a Doctor of Divinity and was a most polished and refined gentleman. He lived at Frankfort, near Clough, in the parish of Leskenfere, and was generally known as PP Monaseed. He was a Pastor of a large district now known as Ballyoughter, CAMOLIN, Craanford and Monaseed, then all one big parish.
Lord Mountnorris lived in the Park House, Camolin. He frequently had the neighbouring priests in to dine with him, a practice with many of the gentry between 1750 and 1798. However when his loyalty was suspect in '98, he was responsible for the hanging of Fr. John Redmond, curate of Camolin, on Gorey Hill, and for other actions to prove that he was on the right side. During the reign of terror Fr. Kavanagh was obliged to flee. Previous to quitting his place, had sent out all his moveables and lodged them with his landlord, a Quaker, by name Wright, who put them in an outhouse. The rebels came by night, swept them all away along with a beef, which Mr Wright had killed for his own family.
The following is Bishop Caulfields account of one particular ordeal: "Rev. Fr. Kavanagh has been most villainously treated. A party of yeomen of Gorey, returning from Ferns, came to his house, called on him for a drink. He told them they could have as much as they liked and gave it accordingly. They called for something to eat. He ordered cold meat, bread, butter, etc. They then abused him with the most horrid and contumelious language and, with naked swords or sabres, threatened to cut off his head. One of them, more human than the rest, made him a sign, and he withdrew accordingly. They called for him again but he was not to be found. They went into his house to search for him, but not finding him, they found his curate, Rev. John Barry, whom they beat and cut. They beat the servants, maid and man, and a neighbouring man, who happened to be there, in a dreadful way, so that he has been confined to bed. Frank made off and is afraid to return. I took his declaration of the occurrence in writing. General Grosse has promised to use his utmost to bring the villains to justice but nobody will venture to identify the criminals.
By leaving his parish he avoided the fate of his curate, Fr. John Redmond. He retired to Wexford where he died in March 1805 anbd was interred in the Franscican Friary. The following epitaph was inscribed on his monument: "Here lies the body of Rev. Dr. Kavanagh, Parish Priest of Clough, who departed this life on the 18th March 1805, aged 81 years.
Administrators and Curates from the time of Fr. Kavanagh until 1875
Rev. John Redmond............................executed in 1798
Rev. Michael Murphy...........................Killed atArklow, June 9th 1798
Rev. John Barry...................................1798 - 1810
Rev. James Keating............................1808 - 1819
Rev. Michael Mitton...........................1819 - 1821
Rev. Nicholas Furlong.........................1819 - 1828
Rev. Timothy Farrell...........................1821 - 1827
Rev. Michael Mitton............................1827 - 1832
Rev. Thomas Hore...............................1828 - 1841
Rev. Philip Mayler...............................1832 - 1835
Rev. Edward Kavanagh.......................1835 - 1844
Rev. John O' Brien..............................1841 - 1869
Rev. William Purcell............................1844 - 1871
Rev. John Keating...............................1844 - 1851
Rev. Laurence Power..........................1851 - 1853
Rev. Patrick Kenny..............................1853 - 1853
Rev. John Doyle...................................1853 - 1854
Rev. Walter Sinnott.............................1854 - 1863
Rev. James Power...............................1863 - 1869
Rev. Patrick Kelly................................1869 - 1872
Rev. John Breen..................................1869 - 1875
Rev. James Keating.............................1871 - 1873
Rev. Thomas Kehoe.............................1873 - 1874
Rev. Edward Alyward..........................1874 - 1875
Rev. Henry Williams Adm....................1871 - 1875
Rev. John Redmond (executed in 1798)
He was a native of Ballinakill, in the parish of Marshalstown, received his early education at a hedge-school. He then proceeded to the Irish College in Salamanca. Following his return to his native district he was appointed as assistant priest at CLOUGH, his parish priest being Rev. Francis Kavanagh. He is reputed to have bneen a quite and scholary priest.
Fr. Redmond wa opposed to the United Irishmen. Myles Byrne tells us that "he refused to hear their confessions and turned them away from his knees." Lord Mountnorris who was Captain of the Camolin Cavalry was on very good terms with Fr. Redmond and with his parish priest, Dr. Frank Kavanagh . Historian Louis M. Cullen states that the Earl entertained Catholic priests at the Big House and that he, in turn, occasionally dined with Fr. Frank Kavangh. Because of his friendship with Mountnorris, Fr. Redmond would have been regarded as a loyalist. He ws held in high esteem by Bishop Caulfield: "Fr. John Redmond, curate of Fr. Kavanagh, a most regular, zealous, attentive priest, without reproach, till the accursed rebels came across him, whether a vollunteer or through terror he joined them I know not. He surprised me more than all the rest".
When the Insurrection broke out, the Insurgents on the very first night, 26th May 1798, raided Lord Mountnorris's house, in Camolin Park, to recover the Pikes and other weapons which they had surrendered, as well as the guns and weapons which were stored there for the use of the yeomanry. They were successful in their mission and were resolved to complete their success by burning the mansion. Fr. Redmond, who heard of their intentions, rushed to the scene and pleaded with them to save the house. Content with their haul of arms, they reluctantly acceded to his wishes.
Fr. Redmond's presence at this raid, and his good deed to save Mountnorris's house, were the causes of his death. Mountnorris, informed that Fr. John had been present at the time of the raid, either assumed that he was implicated in the attack, or simply wanted to prove that his former friendship with the catholic priests of the area was no cause for concern about where his loyalties lay. He summoned Fr. Redmond to Gorey at the end of June. Ther priest, apprehensive of no danger, obeyed without hesitation. On his arrival, he was knocked down in the street, kicked, punched and accused of being a rebel. All his protestations of his innocence were in vain and he was detained in Gorey Market House. Two days later, on the 30th of June 1798 he ws dragged out. A brief Court Martial was held, he was charged with treason for his alleged part in the attack in Camolin Park, found guilty and sentenced to be hanged. He was immediately taken to Gorey HIll and the execution was carried out, by hanging him from a tree. Tradition records that Mountnorris discharged his pistols into his body. His body remained there for some days until it was transferred by night by a faithful few who buried it on Gorey Hill.
Rev. Michael Murphy (Killed at Arklow on June 9th 1798)
Michael belonged to a kilmuckridge family and was son of John and Julia Murphy, nee Neal. He was uncle of Rev. Myles Murphy, later Bishop of Ferns, and a kinsman of Rev. Patrick F. Kavanagh, OFM. He was ordained on the 17th May 1875 with a number of others including Rev. Philip Roche, a prominent figure in the Insurrection of 1798. After ordination Fr. Michael went to the Irish College at Bordeaux to pursue his theological studies. In a letter to the president of the College, Bishop Caulfield described Fr. Murphy as "a sober, regular, well-behaved man". On his return home, hastened by the outbreak of the French Revolution, he was appointed curate to Fr. Francis Kavanagh and ministered in a thatched chapel in BALLYCANEW.
In the first days of the 1798 rebellion, he gathered a contingent of young men including his two nephews, James and John Murphy, to take part in the fight. Fr. Murphy was killed at the battle of Arklow on 9th June 1798 and his remains were buried at Castle Ellis.
Rev. John Barry (1798 - 1810)
He laboured as PP of Rathangan from 1810 till his death on the 9th of October 1836, aged 72 years. The earliest record of Fr. John Barry states that he was sent to CAMOLIN in 1798 to replace Fr. John Redmond, who had been asrrested and executed on Gorey Hill. Fr. Barry also suffered at the hands of the yeomen in Camolin, and was lucky to escape with his life. In a letter to Archbishop Troy of Dublin, dated 12th July 1799, Bishop Caulfield states: "I am glad to inform you, that Rev. John Barry, a very good young man, curate to Fr. Kavanagh, is pretty well recovered from his wounds, and healing fast, though they appeared desperate. He was saved most providentially. The Oficer commanding the Durhams at Buckstown, in that parish, behaved with great humanity and kindness, came to see him, invited him to come to the neighbourhood of their camp where he would be protected and secure. So he is at present, but how can he go through the parish to visit and assist the sick and the dying, to baptise weak or dying children and minister to the poor people in all their wants and neccessities?"
Fr. Barry himself was quoted as saying: "My predecessor, Fr. Redmond was hanged out of a tree and buried in a ditch like a dog."
He went to Rathangan as parish priest in 1810, in succession to the Rev. Patrick Codd. That he was an ardent nationalist and supporter of O' Connell can be inferred from a reply he made to the people of Rathangan, when they presented him with a new gig, on the 1st of January 1830. "It gives me proof that you coincide with me, even in politics, and gives the broad lie to all who endeavour to insinuate that I dragooned you into your manly acts of patriotism and gratitude, by paying the catholic rent and contributing to the O' Connell fund. If co-operating with you in the arduous struggle in gaining your freedom and joining you to pay a tribute of gratitude to the faithful helmsman who steered the vessel safe into the harbour, in spite of shifting sands and contrary winds, be dragooning, I plead guilty". (Wexford Evening Post, Friday 8th January 1830).
Rev. James Keating (1808 - 1819)
He was born in 1783 in the parish of Marshalstown, son of Michael & Margaret Keating, nee Cummins. He received his early education at a hedge-school in a gravel pit near his home. As a youth of fifteen years he witnessed some of the distressing scenes of the 1798 Insurrection. On Whit Sunday of that year, at the beginning of the Rising, he was fired on by a yeoman and injured his foot as he dived for cover.
He was educated at the Fransciscan Academy in Peter's Street (Gibson's Lane), Wexford and entered Maynooth College in 1804. During the summer of 1808, Archbishop Troy of Dublin asked Bishop Caulfield to send him a priest, as there was a shortage of clergy in Dublin, but the Coadjutor Bishsop, Dr. Ryan, pointed out to Dr. Caulfield that the newly-ordained priest was needed in Ferns, so instead of going to Dublin, Fr. Keating was appointed curate in the mensal parish of CAMOLIN.
When Bishop Ryan became ill, Fr. Keating reluctantly accepted the appointment of Coadjutor Bishop. After the unexpected death of Dr. Ryan, the new bishop-elect was consecrated on 21st March 1819. Physically he was a masive figure and was an eloquent preacher, and he took an active part in the struggles for Catholic Emancipation, for Repeal of the Union, against the Tithe system, but especially in the controversy that surrounded the Veto question. The Veto would have given the British government the right to review candidates for the Irish Bishoprics and to remove names from the list. A meeting of the Hierarchy in Dublin in the year of his consecration, the young unknown bishop convinced his fellow bishops, most ofd whom were ready to accept the Veto, to reject it, and he was credited with having the measure dropped. In 1833 he refused to pay tithes to his Protestant counterpart, Bishop Elrington.
He organised the diocese into thirty-six parishes in 1835. There were then ninety-two churches in the diocese, twenty of which were erected during his own episcopate. His outstanding achievement was the erection of St. Aidan's Cathedral. He was also responsible for the establishment of several convents.
At the age of 65, Bishop Keating died on 7th september 1849 and was buried in the new cathedral four days later.
Rev. Michael Mitton (1819 - 1821)
He was born near Arklow in Co. Wicklow, educated in Kilkenny and ordained in 1818, or early 1919.
He ws appointed CC to CAMOLIN on the 8th March 1819 and was transferred to Enniscorthy on 4th March 1821, whre he remained until he returned to Camolin on the 8th September 1827 and where he remained until he was appointed PP of Oulart on 23rd October 1832. He was transferred to Sutton's Parish on 20th October 1840, and had a pastorate for seventeen years. He renovated the church of Horeswood, and died on 17th November 1857.
In his will, Fr, Mitton left a cow to a good friend, Fr. Morris, who was curate of Sutton's from 1843 to his death in 1861. In February 1858 a parishioner, calling himself 'Fair Play' wrote an open letter to the 'People' newspaper, complaining to Rev. John Furlong. DD., one of the executors of the late Fr. Michael Mitton, that the cow had not been handed over. "I now call on you fortwith, without any further ceremony, to give Fr. Morris his cow. If you do not do so at once, I am resoloved to submit the case to the public for its decision."
Rev. Nicholas Furlong (1819 - 1828)
He was a native of Lough, Cullenstown, parish of Bannow, and uncle of Fr. John Furlong. OSA. He was born in 1785, he was a student at Carlow College fro 1808 too 1813, when he was ordained for the diocese of Fernss.
His firs appointment was in 1813 to the curacy of Blackwater. He was transferred to CAMOLIN on the 3rd of April 1819. He became parish priest of LItter on 1st of October 1828 and PP Crossabeg on 3rd Februry 1840.
Fr. Furlong bnuilt the presnet presbytery at Crossabeg and also built the presbytery in Kilmuckridge.
He died on 22nd. December 1849, aged 64 years.
Rev. Timothy Farrell (1821 - 1827)
He was ordained on the Sunday after Christmas in the year 1819. He was appointed CC Annacurra on 11th April 1820, and transferred to CAMOLIN on the 4th March 1821. On the 8th September 1827 he was sent to Courtnacuddy and on the 10th October 1830 to Boolavogue. Subsequently, in Octobner 1839, he went to Bree and was made PP of Oulart in October 1840. In 1862, his health became precarious and Rev. John D. Hore CC acted as Administrator from January 1863 to January 1864. Father Farrell died on 15th April 1868, in his 76th year.
On Sunday, 21st November 1847 Fr. Farrell became involved in a dispute concerning two of his parishioners, a man named Carroll, and a widow, Marjery Kehoe, who were to be evicted from Lord Arran's Estate. According to the report sent by the police to Dublin Castle, Fr. Farrell denounced the action of Lord Aran's bailiffs "in inflamatory terms". He also denounced the man who was to acquire the lands, threatening to support his words by a brace of bullets.
Eventually, no action was taken against the Parish Priest on the advice of the local police authority, who commented that "no one, even his own parishioners" paid any heed to what Fr. Farrell said. The Sub-Inspector, Thomas Fitzsimon, recommended "That a crown prosecution would only render the Revd. Gentleman a subject of interest, where he is at present little considered, and might lead to a disturbance in the neighbourhood that it at present perfectly tranquil".
Rev. Michael Mitton (1827 - 1832)
Appointed to CAMOLIN for a second term in the year 1827. For further details on Fr.Mitton see above. (first term...1819 -182
Rev. Thomas Hore (1828 - 1841)
He was the third son of Edmund and Mrs Hore of Coldblow, in the parish of Our Lady's Island and was born about the year 1796. He received his earliest education from James Fortune, Ballyfane, Carne. He then proceeded to the Old Roman Catholic Seminary, Wexford, which was the forerunner of St. Peter's College and was presided over by Rev. Myles Murphy, later Bishop of Ferns. From the Seminary he went to the Catholic College of Kilkenny,where Dr. Patrick Kelly was president.
On 24th August 1820, about the time Thomas Hore had completed his eccesiastical studies, Dr. Kelly was consecrated Bishop of the newly established deiocese of Richmond in Virginia, USA. He requested Thomas Hore to accompany him and ordained him shortly after his arrival.
A clash soon occurred between the new Bishop and his Metropolitan, the Archbishop of Baltimore, concerning jurisdiction. To resolve the problem Rome decided to translate Bishop Kelly to another See. Dr. Walsh, the Bishop of Waterford and Lismore, happened to die in Rome on 1st October 1821. In June 1822 Dr. Kelly received his Bulls of translation to the diocese of Waterford and he arrived in Ireland in June 1822. Fr. Hore continued in America for about another six years, but his health began to deteriorate and he returned to Wexford. Bishop Keating appointed him Administrator of CAMOLIN , a mensal parish, on the 9th of October 1828.
The Orange faction was very active in Camolin in Fr. Hore's time and was responsible for a great deal of intimidation of the local catholic population. Fr. Hore did everything possible to protect his people. At the 12th July celebrations of 1833 they burned his effigy.
Fr. Hore was appointed PP Annacurra on 18th May 1841. Soon after his arrival he began the building of a new church at Killavaney and this work was completed in 1844. The church, under the invocation of St. Kevin, was blessed and dedicated by Bishop Keating on 20th April 1844.
During the famine years Fr. Hore witnessed the terrible sufferings of his people and their frustration. The landlords, Earl Fitzwilliam of Coolattin included, were shipping their tenants to North America and Canada as the cheapest way of dealing with their problemns. Fr. Hore, with his American experience, saw the prospect of a better life for his poor parishioners on the other side of the Atlantic. He proposed this to his people, and large numbers decided to emigrate, including whole families. To transport them he chartered three ships, "Ticonderoga", "The Chasca" and "The Loodianah", which sailed from Liverpool in October-November 1850, with about twelve hundred souls on board, bound for New Orleans and a better world. Fr. Hore resigned his pastorate, in order to accompany the exiles, and spent some years settling them along the banks of the Mississippi. This story is well documented elsewhere.
Fr. Hore returned to his native diocese in 1858 and was appointed CC Caim in May of that year. Here he built the fine church of Caim. On the death of The Very Rev. Abraham Brownrigg, he was appointed as Parish Priest of Cloughbawn on 28th August 1859. He completed the church of Cloughbawn, built by his predecessor, but his health soon failed and he died on 4th August 1864, aged 69 years.
See Jim Rees, "A Fareweell to Famine", and Kenneth P. Scshmitz, in "The Post", No. 11 (1975 - 76).
Rev. Philip Mayler (1832 - 1835)
He and hisdbrother, Very Rev. Bernard Canon Mayler of Ferns, were neatives of Gentstown, in the old parish of Tomhaggard. These, as well as the families of Harristown, Ballyseskin and Rathaspeck, were descended from the Maylers of Duncormack, who were dispossessed of their Castle and Estates in the Cromwellian Confiscation. After the seisure of their Ccstle and lands, the Maylers settled at Ballyhealy, the lease of which they were able to keep through the kindness of the Rector of Kilmore, Rev. Roger Vigors. They afterwards acquired Gentstown and Ballyseskin. Fr. Philip Mayler was also a relative of Rev. Nicholas Mayler, who was martyred by the Cromwellians on Christmas morning 1653, while secretly celebrating Mass in a knock of furze at Lingstown.
Fr. Philip Mayler and his brother Bernard, were educated in Rome. Philip was born on 28th November 1805, matriculated in Maynooth on 25th August 1825 and is listed as a subdeacon at Maynooth in 1828. He left Rome for Ireland on 26th April 1832. He was appointed curate of CAMOLIN on 16th November 1832.
He was appoointed curate at Enniscorthy on 3rd March 1835 and was transferred to Kilmore, as curate, on 21st October 1836.He was asppointed Parish Priest on 4th December 1850 and some years later, Archdreacon of Ferns. He built the Church at Kilmore Quay.
Venerable Archdeacon Mayler PP DD, died on 12th January 1884.
Rev. Edward Kavanagh (1835 - 1844)
He was the son of Patrick and Mrs. Kavanagh of Clonevan House, Gorey, and nephew of Fr. Frank Kavanagh, Parish Priest of Balyoughter, Camolin and Ballycanew, of '98 fame. He entered Maynooth College in August 1822 and was ordained there on 22nd May 1826.
His first appointment was Blackwater 1st October 1826. He ws appointed CC in Barntown on 28th November 1827 and transferred to The Hook on 10th October 1830. His next appointment was to the curacy of BALLYCANEW, where he built the walls of a new church to the eaves in the early 1840's, but the project was abandoned and it was a further seventy years before a new church was built in Ballycanew. In September 1844, he was transferred to Gusserane. Here he spent the famine years, where he worked with "might and main", to save the people from actual starvation. He bought and borrowed for that purpose, but at length, he was made bankrupt by the shopkeepers of New Ross and as a result had to leave the country. He was affectionately known as "Big Fr. Kavanagh" or "Big Fr. Ned" and was long remembered for his charity and his efforts to save the starving people during the famine.
He resigned in November 1850 and emigrated to Buenos Aires where he arrived in 1851. The fact that his brother had settled here some time ago was a great incentive fro Fr. Kavanagh to make his home there.
A Fr. Fahy, a Dominican, made him an assistant Chaplain, in a rural area of Buenos Aires.
Some years later he had to resign as a result of ill-health and after a long illness he died at the Estancia, San Franscisco, Bragada, Buenos Aires, on 31st. January 1880, aged 79 years.
Rev. John O' Brien (1841 - 1869)
He was born at The Ballagh in 1804, and was amongst the first students who entered St. Peter's College, where he pursued his classical studies. He concluded his theological studies in Maynooth, 1830 - 1836. He was ordained on 28th May 1836 and was shortly afterwards, on 21st. October 1826, appointed to the curacy of Caim and later to Craanford (CAMOLIN), on the 9th June 1841, where he ministered for twenty-nine years. Fr. O' Brien built two chapels, one at Craanford and the other at Monaseed, as well as parochial schools.
He was an ardent patriot and was involoved in the stormy elections of the 1840's and 1850's. He always headed his parishioners to the poll and often combatted the intimidation and bribes of the landlords and their agents, when they tried to influence their Tenantry against the election of popular representatives. He was also deeply involved int he '48 movement. Later on he secured for many people large reductions in their rent and took a deep interest in the land agitation.
In October 1869 he was appointed to the pastoral charge of Litter (Kilmuckridge). He was granduncle of Rev. Thomas Crowe. He died on 14th March 1889 and his remains were buried in the parish church.
Rev. William Purcell (1844 - 1871)
He was a member of the Poulmounty family, near New Ross, where he was born in 1800. He was educated for the priesthood in Kilkenny and ordained in 1832. His first assignment was as curate in the parish of The Hook, from 23rd October 1832. He was transferred to Gorey on the 20th February 1835 and remained there until the completion of St. Michael's Church. On 7th October 1843 he was transferred to Sutton's parish, but after only one week, he was sent tothe parish of Ballycullane. In September 1844 he was transferred to CAMOLIN , and here he spent the remainder of his life. He became Administrator in 1850 and died at Ballyoughter in April 1871. It was his dying wish that he should be buried in the pugin church, at Gorey, which he had worked so hard to build. The then Parish Priest of Gorey, Fr. James Lacey, willingly agreed to his request and selected an appropriate site for his grave. His body reposes in the southern transept of St. Michael's church.
He was a gifted and eloquent preacher and was in demand throughout the diocese for special occasions and was often a special guest in the Fransciscan Friary in Wexford.
Rev. John Keating (1844 - 1851)
He was a native of Ballyhealy, in the parish of Kilmore. He was educated at Carlow College, 1839 - 1844 where he was ordained in 1844. Most Rev. Dr. Keating apointed him to the curacy of CAMOLIN in September 1844, where he ministered for seven years. He was transferred to the curacy of Glenbrien on 12th August 1851 and to Mulrnkin on May 1858. He became Pastor of Crossabeg on 7th January 1866, as successor to Rev. William Murphy who was transferred to Taghmon as PP.
Fr. Keating died at his temporary residence in Wexford, where he had been staying for a few weeks, in order to be near his medical attendant. He was buried in the chapel in Crossabeg where the following epitaph is to be seen: "Of your charity pray for the soul of Very Rev. John Keating, PP Crossabeg. A holy, learned and zealous priest, he laboured earnestly for the well-being of souls. After a lingering illness, and deeply lamented by his superiors and parishioners he calmly resigned his soul to God on 5th October 1867 in 53rd year of his age, RIP".
Rev. Laurence Power (1851 - 1853)
He entered Maynooth College in 1846. He was ordained on 14th June in 1851. He was appointed curate in CAMOLIN on 12th August 1851 and trransferred to Annacurra on 17th January 1853. No further information available.
Rev. Patrick Kenny (1853 - 1853)
He was born at Boley, near Craanford, in the parish of Camolin, in the year 1823, and his father, Thomas Kenny, took part in the Insurrectioin of 1798. He was also linked through marriage with the Finns, three brothers of which played a prominent part in the events of the Rising. He studdied at St. Peter's College and Maynooth, being ordained in 1853.
He was appointed curate in CAMOLIN on 17th January in 1853. In October of the same year he was appointed curate in Oulart Parish. There he remained until 1860, when he was appointed to the curacy of Ballymore, where political activities first engaged his attention. He returnd to Oulart on 19th January 1864 to help Fr. Farrell, on whose death in 1868, he was appointed PP.
Fr. Kenny died on Wednesday, 2nd August 1911. He was in his 88th year and had been paralysed for some time. He was buried in the new church, of St. Patrick, he had helped to build.
Rev. John Doyle (1853 - 1854)
He was a native of Wexford, being the son of John and Mrs. Doyle of Mulgannon. He was born in 1821 and was educated at St. Peter's College. Hed entered Maynooth College in 1840 and was ordained, with Rev Walter Lambert, on the 5th of February 1848. Shortly after ordination he was sent as CC to Annacurra, 11th February1848. He was appointed CC Ballygarrett, 17th June 1853; CAMOLIN, October 1853, CC Ferns, 25th September 1854, PP Newtownbarry, 1st January 1867. Havin gspent three years as PP, he resigned in September 1870 to return as CC to Ferns. In October 1873. He preferred to be CC Ferns than PP Newtownbarry, so great was his regard for Fr. Bernard Mayler, PP Ferns.
Fr. John Doyle died on 9th June 1888 and was interred in Ferns Parish Church.
Rev. Walter Sinnott (1854 - 1863)
He was the third of six children, born at Ballybought, near Ballymore, in the year of Catholic Emancipation, 1829. He was descended from the Sinnotts of Ballybought and the Staffords of Ballygrangans. He was educated at St. Peter's College and Maynooth, where he was ordained on 21st May 1853, together with his neighbour, Rev.James Keating.
Dr. Sinnott's first curacy was Templeuidigan, from 2nd October 1853. Subsequently he was transferred to Bunclody Parish, 31st. January 1854 and to CAMOLIN on 15th September 1854, where he was responsible for building the church. He went to Ballykelly in May 1863; to Cloughbawn, March 1865; to Annacurra, March 1877, and finally to Tomacork as PP on 21st September 1879.
He was an omnivorous reader and also a patriot and was long remembered for his speech at the famous meeting in Carnew 1880, which was addressed by Tim Healy, T.D. Sullivan, Frank Hugh O' Donnell and other well known political men of the land rights movement. He was an ardent supporter of the temperance movement of his day.
Fr. Sinnott died on 26th March 1911, aged 84 years. His remains were interred in Tomacork Church.
Rev. James Power (1863 - 1869)
He was educated at Louvain and ordained at the Cathedral, Enniscorthy, on the 27th February 1858. He was immediately appointed as curate of Monamolin. Two months later in April 1858, he was sent to Ballyfad and in May 1863 to CAMOLIN. His last curacy was Newtownbarry, to which he was appointed in April 1869.
He died in June 1883.
Rev. Patrick Kelly (1869 - 1872)
He was a native of Enniscorthy. He was educated in St. Patrick's College, Maynooth where he matriculated on 26th January 1858. He was ordained at the chapel of the Presnetation Convent, Enniscorthy on the 15th August 1864. He served as a curate in Newtownbarry from 4th September 1864 until he was transferred to CAMOLIN in April 1869.
Fr. Kelly suffered from heart disease and died suddednly on 15th September 1872, at the Murrough of Wicklow, where he had gone to recuperate.
Rev. John Breen (1869 - 1875)
He was born in 1839 and was educated for the priesthood at Carlow College, 1860 - 1861, and at Maynooth, 1861 - 1864. He was ordained at St. Peter's College, by Bishop Furlong, on 23rd. October 1864.
His first appointment was to Clongeen on 24th October 1864. Five years later he was transferred to CAMOLIN, in November 1869 and then to Annacurra in May 1875. His last assignment was to Askamore, in March 1877, where he died of paralysis on 11th November 1889, in the 50th year of his age and the 26th of his ministry.
Rev. James Keating (1871 - 1873)
He was born at Curracloe in 1845. He was educated at St. Peter's College and afterwards at Maynooth, 1864 - 1871. He was ordained on 30th May 1871 by Dr. Furlong.
His first curacy was at CAMOLIN, to which he was appointed in July 1871. In August 1873 he was transferred to Wexford. When Dr. Warren founded his great tgemperance movement in Wexford, Fr. Keating was a great pillar of strength to the movement and, in consequence, he established a brass band for the Society, which, in its time, enjoyed an impressive reputation. He was transferred to Gorey in August 1883 where he remained until he was promoted to the pastoral charge of Davidstown in October 1892.
He was a keen horseman, used to follow the Hunt and had a couple of good racehorses in his stable at one time. He died on March 11th 1898. Interment took place in the church.
Rev. Thomas Kehoe (1873 - 1874)
He matriculated at Maynooth College on the 27th of August 1866. He was ordained at Pentecost, 30th May 1871. He was appointed to CAMOLIN in August 1873, where he served one year. He left the diocese in October 1874 and went to New Zealand. He paid a visit to Ireland in 1896 and was guest of the Very Rev. Thomas Meehan, PP Ballindaggin.
Rev. Edward Aylward (1874 - 1875)
He was the son of John and Mrs. Aylward, was born at Killiane Castle, Drinah on 1st April 1848. His maternal ancestors were from Blackwater. He pursued his preliminary studies at St. Peter's College and was prepared for the priesthood at Carlow College. He was ordained at Carlow, by Most Rev. Dr. Walshe, on Pentecost Sunday, 7th June, 1873, with Fr. Thomas Finn, CC Clongeen, Fr. Patrick Sheil, PP Bree and Fr. John O' Carroll, CC Duncannon.
Because there was no vacancy at home at the time, he spent a year in the town of Enniskillen, diocese of Clogher. He was recalled in October 1874 and was apointed to the curacy of CAMOLIN. In May 1875 he was appointed curate at Wexford, where he remained for twenty-two years. On the death of Fr. Michael Kelly, Administrator in 1889, Fr. Aylward, who was then senior curate in Wexford, became Administrator. He was appointed PP Blackwater on the 18th July 1897.
On his promotion to Blackwater his first task was the repair of the church and the parochial house. He raised funds by holding a Bazaar and concert. He was a constant attender of meetings, lectures and entertainments. He organised a good choir and erected a new organ. It was under his direction that the beautiful ceiling, the work of James Shipley, was added to the churcv, new stations of the cross, pews and two stained glass windows. He also adorned the parochial house and its grounds
In his later years he suffered heart trouble for a considerable period and paid a visit to the health resort of Bath, in England, with his friend, Canon Luke Doyle, PP Tagoat. He did not benefit from the treatment and died on Saturday 24th February 1912.
Rev. Henry Williams (1871 - 1875)
He became Administrator of Rathangan, which was made a mensal parish on the death of Canon O' Toole. He was appointed in 1875.
He was born at Forestalstown in 1840, his parents being of the farming class. After some years spent in the school of his native parish, he entered Callan College; from there he passed to Mount Melleray, and finally entered Carlow College for Theology in 1865. During his Collegiate course he displayed great aptitude for architectural studies and such was his application in this respect that he became distinguished during his priestly life for his sound judgement in matters related to church buildinng and church repair. In 1867 he was ordained and in June of that year he was appointed to the curacy of his native parish of Cloughbawn.
Her was sent to Monageer in June 1869 and was only a short time there when he set about building a new church. The new church had been scarcely been completed, when, on the death of Fr. William Purcell in April 1871 he was transferred as Administrator to the parish of BALLYOUGHTER in May 1871. There he found the faithful performing their devotions in a poor little chapel with earthen floor and rough walls and not much ornamentations. Fr. Williams immediately set about building a new church. He also erected a new school for the district.
When he went to Ballyoughter he found Orangemen very active in several of the districts of the parish. They found in Fr. Williams an intrepid opponent and within a few months he succeeded in stamping out their public parades.
In Rathangan his first task was to complete the new parish church erected by Canon O' Toole. It was not long until the spire and the interior decoration were completed.
The efforts of the Tenant Farmers for the reform of the land laws had his deep sympathy.
Fr. Williams died at the parochial residence, Rathangan, on Tuesday 11th April 1882, aged 42 years. His funeral obsequies were celebrated in the church of Rathangan where he was interred.
Prior to April 1875, the parish of Ballyoughter, including Camolin, Ballyoughter, Ballycanew, Craanford and Monaseed, wa a mensal parish, under an Administrator, with the Bishop as Parish Priest. In April 1875 Bishop Furlong detached Craanford and Monaseed, thereby creating a new administrative area, the parish of Craanford. The parish of Ballyoughter, with curacies at Camolin and Ballycanew ceased to be a mensasl paish, with Rev. Robert Sinnott as the new Parish Priest.
PARISH PRIESTS FROM 1875
Rev. Robert Sinnott........................1875 - 1886
Rev. Thomas Staples......................1886 - 1892
Rev. John Roice..............................1892 - 1895
Rev. Andrew Kinsella.....................1895 - 1900
Rev. Patrick Doyle.........................1900 - 1909
Rev. Nicholas Mernagh..................1909 - 1928
Rev. Gregory Pettit.......................1928 - 1940
Rev. James Doran.........................1940 - 1951
Rev. Nicholas Cardiff....................1953 - 1971
Rev. Matthew Doyle.....................1970 - 1991
Rev. J. L. Curtis............................1991 - 1999
Rev. Joseph Kavanagh.................1999 -
Rev. Robert Sinnott (1875 - 1886)
He wa a native of Newtown, Kilmuckridge. He was educated at St. Peter's College, Wexford, and afterwards went to the Irish College, Paris, where he completed his studies. He was ordained in 1856.
His first curacy after his ordination in 1856 was Gorey. He spent fourteen years in Gorey, and was transferred to Wexford, in October 1870. In April 1875, Bishop Furlong appointed him as the first Parish Priest of the new Parish of BALLYOUGHTER.(Camolin, Ballycanew)
Fr. Henry Williams, the last Administrator of Camolin had laid the foundation stone of a new church in Ballyoughter on 12th March 1874, but it was left to Fr. Sinnott to complete it.
Fr. Sinnott died on 12th November 1886, aged 57 years.
Rev. Thomas Staples (1886 - 1892)
He was a native of Cregg, Ballycogley and was educated at St. Peter's College Wexford. He completed his studies at Louvain. He was ordained to the priesthood at the Convent Of Mercy, Wexford on 8th September 1861.
His appointments were as follows: He was appointed CC Ballindaggin on 29th September 1861; CC Poulpeasty on 22nd November 1863. CC Ballykelly in March 1865; CC Poulpeastyy for a second time, on 20th January 1883. He became Parish Priest of BALLYOUGHTER (Camolin & Ballycanew) on 19th November 1886.
Fr. Staples died at Athy, at the residence of his brother Rev. J. Staples, where he had been staying for the benefit of his health, on 20th June 1892
Rev. John Roice (1892 - 1895)
He was the son of Clement and Mrs. Roice of Churchtown House, Rosslare. His father was widely known and highly respected as an Irish Patriot, a man who took part in the campaign for the abolition of tithes and other agitations for the benefit of the Irish people.
Fr. Roice received his early education at St. Peter's College, Wexford; matriculated at Maynooth on 26th January 1858 and was ordained at St. Peter's College, by Bishop Furlong, on Sunday 8th February 1863.
His first appointment was to Wexford, in February 1863. Ten years later, in August 1873 he was sent as curate to Sutton's parish and to Galbally in October 1879. His last curacy was St. Leonard's from 14th January 1883. He ws appointed Parish Priest of BALLYOUGHTER (Camolin & Ballycanew) in August 1892.
Fr. Roice died at the residence of his niece, Mrs M. A. Ennis, Ardruadh, Wexford on Friday, 17th May 1895. He was interred in Ballyoughter.
Rev. Andrew Kinsella (1895 - 1900)
He was born in the parish of Kilanerin. He studdied at St. Peter's College and later at the University of Louvain. He was ordained by Dr. Furlong, at Enniscorthy on 30th May 1874.
He was appointed to the curacy of Screen in June 1874, and to Monamolin in October 1885. On the death of Very Rev. John Roice, he was promoted to the pastorate of BALLYOUGHTER (Camolin & Ballycanew) in June 1895. Fr. Kinsella died after a short illness, at the parochial residence, on Tuesday, 30th January 1900. He was brother of Fr. Michael Kinsella who died in 1946.
Rev. Patrick Doyle (1900 - 1909)
He was the son of Moses and Mrs. Doyle of Tomanerin, in the Parish of Annacurra. His father was a brother of Fr. Thomas Doyle of Ramsgrange. Patrick Doyle was educated at St. Peter's College, Wexford and Maynooth College, where he matriculated on 10th September 1866. He was ordained by Bishop Furlong, in the Loreto Convent Chapel, Wexford, on Monday 1st April 1872.
He served at the following places in the Diocese of Ferns: Dean at St. Peter's College, April 1872; CC Screen, September 1874; CC Ramsgrange, July 1876; CC Boolavogue, August 1877; CC Wexford, August 1888; CC Ballyfad, 1st August 1889; CC CAMOLIN, November 1893; and became Parish Priest of BALLYOUGHTER (Camolin & Ballycanew) 25th February 1900.
Fr. Pat Doyle was nearly the last of the band of Wexford Priests who were first members of the Old County Wexford Independent Club and then leaders of the people during the Land League agitation. During the Land League campaign, he did not spare himself. In Ballyfad, he championed the cause of Coolgreany evicted tenants with the same ardour that he showed in Shelbourne. It was mainly through his constant efforts that the first big scheme of Cottages in Gorey, Camolin and Kilanerin districts were carried through. He was the prime mover in the agitation made by the Courtown Tenantry to bring about the sale of Courtown Estate, and he presided at all the meetings. He was also president of the Irish Trade and Labour League, the Ballycanew Gaelic League, and many other organisations.
He died at his residence at Ballyoughter, on Friday 17th September 1909. He had been ill for some time. He was interred in Ballyoughter cemetery.
Rev. Nicholas Mernagh (1909 - 1928)
He was born in the Parish of Davidstown. He was educated at t. Aidan's Academy, Enniscorthy, under Fr. Carey, then at st. Peter's College, Wexford, and finally at the Irish College in Paris where he was ordained , together with Very Rev. James Murphy, PP Oylgate, by Most Rev. Dr. Woodlock, on 9th June 1887.
He was appointed to the following curacies: Ballygarrett, January 15th. 1888; Bree, June 1888. Ferns, January 1891. Askamore, February 1892. Enn- iscorthy, May 1898. Marshalstown, August 1899. He was then appointed Parish Priest of BALLYOUGHTER (Camolin & Ballycanew) 0n 10th October 1909.
Like his predecessor, Fr. Pat Doyle, Fr. Mernagh was a great champion of the Tenantry in the Land League days. As Parish Priest of Ballyoughter, he was responsible for building the present church at Balycanew, which was opened in September 1913 and of which Rev. William Fortune became the first resident curate.
Canon Mernagh retired, through ill health on 15th July 1928, and died at a Dublin Nursing Home on Monday, 5th April 1937. He was interred at Ballyoughter.
Rev. Gregory Pettit (1928 - 1940)
He was the third eldest son of William and Mary Pettit, Rathmore, Broadway. He received his early education at St. Peter's College, and then went to Salamanca, in Spain, to do his theological course. On his return to Irleland, he was ordained by Bishop Browne, at the Presentation Convent, Wexford, on the 8th September 1899.
His first appointment was to Clongeen, where he served from the 5th Nov- ember 1899. Subsequent appointments were: were CC Caim, 8th December 1901. CC Monaseed, 4th October 1909; CC Murrintown, 26th January 1919; PP BALLYOUGHTER (Camolin & Ballycanew) 23rd July 1928.
Fr. Pettit erected a new set of Stations of the Cross in Balyoughter and decorated the interior of the church. He also improved the Parochial House, and it was during his time that the curate's residence in Ballycanew was completed.
He died at a Nursing Home in Dublin on Friday 8th November 1940, and was interred in Ballyoughter.
Rev. James Doran (1940 - 1951)
He was born in 1886, the youngest son of Peter and Mrs. Doran of Craanrue, Edermine. He was educated at St. Aidan's Academy, Enniscorthy, and St. Peter's College, Wexford. Having completed his secondary education he pursued a brilliant University Course and obtained his BA Degree. Returning to St. Peter's College, he completed his philosophical and theological studdies and was ordained in June 1912.
In September of that year he was appointed as Professor of Science at the College, a post which he held with distinction, until he became President in 1932. During his term as President, Fr. Doran undertook the gigantic task of building the much needed new wing for the ecclesiastical students of the College.
ON 12th December 1940, Fr. Doran was appointed Parish Priest of BALLYOUGHTER (Camolin & Ballycanew) and in 1950 he became a member of the Cathedral Chapter.
Canon Doran died very unexpectedly after a short illness, on 27th October 1951, and was interred in Ballyoughter.
Rev. Nicholas Cardiff (1853 - 1970)
He wa a member of a well-known family from Gurteenminogue, Murrintown. Ordained in St. Peter's College, Wexford on 20th June 1920. He served in the Parish of St. Mary of the Angels, Bayswater, London, for nearly two years. On his recall to the Diocese of Ferns, he was appointed curate in the Church Of The Assumption, Bride Street, Wexford, on 5th April 1922, where he ministered until 12th Febuary 1945, when he was transferred to Rosslare Strand. On the death of Canon Doran, he was appointed PP BALLYOUGHTER (Camolin & Ballycanew) on 18th April 1953. He was appointed to the Cathedral Chapter in 1968.
For many years Canon Cardiff was an active member of the Gaelic League. He also was a violinist of note and competed in Feis Charman in its early years. He retired after fifty years as a priest, on 10th January 1970 and died at Ely Nursing Home on 16th January 1973, aged 81 years. He was interred in Ballyoughter.
Rev. Matthew Doyle (1970 - 1991)
He was the son of Michael And Mrs Doyle, Cottage, Tagoat. He was the brother of Ver. Rev. Patrick E. Doyle. PP Ferns and uncle of Rev. Michael Funge, a native of Gorey . His father represented the farmers in Dail Eireann in the 1920's.
Fr. Doyle received his early education at Tagoat National School and The Convent of Mercy, Rosslare Strand. He subsequently studdied at the Irish college in salamanca, Spain. There he spent three years but had to leave at the outbreak of the Spanish Civil War. He continued his studies for the priesthood at St. Peter's College, and was ordained on 4th June 1939.
After his ordination, he was appointed to St. Bride's Presbytery, Newcastle-upon -Tyne, England, where he remained until 1941. He returned to Wexford in that year when he was appointed curate to the Church of The Immaculate Conception, Wexford on 6th October 1941, and Chaplain to the County Hospital. He was appointed Rector of the Church of The Assumption in 1946. He was appointed Administrator in Wexford in September 1969.
Fr. Doyle was appointed PP CAMOLIN on 10th January 1970. At the time of his appointment the designation of the Parish was changed from Ballyoughter to Camolin and Fr. Doyle resided at Camolin, unlike his predecessors who lived in Balyoughter. During his pastorate he carried out major restoration of the church in Camolin. He is particularly remembered for his devotion to our Lady.
He retired in November 22nd 1991 and he died on 17th May 1997 and was laid to rest in Camolin cemetery.
Rev. James L. Curtis (1991 - 1999)
He was born in 1939, son of John & Elizabeth Curtis, nee Shaw, Robert Street, New Ross and brother ov Very Rev. Thomas Curtis. He was educated at St. Joseph's New Ross, 1943 - 1947, CBS primary and secondary, New Ross, 1947 - 1953 and 1953 - 1956: St. Peter's College, 1956 - 1958; St. Peter's Seminary, 1958 - 1964.
He was ordained at St. Patrick's College, Maynooth, on 21st January 1964. From July 1964 to January 1965 he did temporary duty in his native town of New Ross. In January 1965 he was appointed CC CAMOLIN , where he remained until the following August. In the meantime, he volunteered for missionary work with the Ferns Mission to Brazil and spent four years in the Archdiocese of Sao Paulo, from september 1965 to July 1969. The next four years he spent as curate in Wexford town, September 1969 to September 1973. After another four years in Brazil October 1973 to June 1977, he was curate in Gusserane from September 1977 to June 1980. He spent a third period in Brazil, from November 1980 to June 1982. On 11th September 1982 he became curate in Poulpeasty, and on the retirement of Canon Matthew Doyle, he was appointed Parish Priest of CAMOLIN on 23rd November 1991, where he was responsible for the building of the new Parochial House in 1993. Fr. Curtis was transferred to Clongeen on 19th June 1999.
He retired in August 2008.
Rev. Joseph Kavanagh (1999 - )
He was born in 1951, son of Michael and Ellen Kavanagh, nee Cassidy, Bunclody. He was educated at Bunclody National School, 1955 - 1963; St. Peter's College, 1963 - 1968; St. Peter's Seminary, 1968 - 1974. He was ordained at St. Peter's College on 9th June 1974.
From 1974 - 1979 he was on loan to the Diocese of Down And Connor and served for four years in the parish of Derriagy, and his final year was spent in the Parish of St. John's on the Falls Road, Belfast.
On his return to the diocese of Ferns he was appointed curate at BALLYCANEW on 7th July 1979, where in 1991 he oversaw the complete restoration of Ballycanew church which was rededicated by Bishop Brendan Comiskey in March 1991.
In succession to Very Rev. James L. Curtis (transferred to Clongeen), he was appointed Parish Priest of CAMOLIN on June 19th 1999, where in 2001, he oversaw the complete interior and exterior decoration of the Church of the Immaculate Conception, Camolin, and the restoration of the Fr. Owen Kehoe Memorial Parish Hall in 2004 - 2005.
In 2007 the entire tarmac surface in the grounds of the Church and graveyard were replaced with cobble lock brickwork, pathways at the side of the Church were widened and the cement slabs on Calvary replaced.
In 2008 the exterior of the church was painted.
In 2009 lanterns from the road entrance to the rear of the Church on both sides were installed.
Also in 2009 A Shrine to our Lady was built adjacent to the front of the Church and an "Infant Memorial Garden" with the name 'Tír Na Nóg' was erected in the cemetery.
Also in 2009 the local primary school was upgraded with the addition of two classrooms, two resource rooms, a store room, a library, a staff room and a principal's office, the official opening took place in June 2009.
Curates from 1875
Rev. Nicholas Harpur...........................1875 - 1876
Rev. Patrick Sheil................................1876 - 1877
Rev. James Boggan.............................1877 - 1879
Rev. Andrew Kavanagh.......................1879 - 1885
Rev. Andrew Crowe.............................1885 - 1886
Rev. William Prendergast....................1886 - 1887
Rev. Denis Kavanagh...........................1887 - 1888
Rev. Edward Brennan..........................1888 - 1890
Rev. James Redmond..........................1891 - 1892
Rev. Aidan Forrestal............................1892 - 1893
Rev. Patrick Doyle...............................1893 - 1900
Rev. Owen Kehoe................................1900 - 1919
Rev. William Fortune...........................1913 - 1917
Rev. Kevin Doyle.................................1917 - 1919
Rev. Martin Ryan.................................1919 - 1922
Rev. Thomas Crowe.............................1919 - 1921
Rev. James Crosbie..............................1920 - 1925
Rev. Francis O' Rourke.........................1922 - 1923
Rev. Matthew Wickham.......................1923 - 1936
Rev. Wiliam Webb................................1925 - 1941
Rev. Tobias Furlong.............................1936 - 1965
Rev. Edward Prendergast....................1941 - 1947
Rev. Thaddeus Byrne...........................1947 - 1955
Rev. Francis Staples.............................1955 - 1959
Rev. Joseph L. Kehoe...........................1959 - 1969
Rev. James L. Curtis.............................1964 - 1965
Rev. Daniel Nolan.................................1965 - 1970
Rev. John J. Nolan................................1969 - 1979
Rev. Joseph Kavanagh..........................1979 - 1999
Rev. Colm Murphy.................................1999 - 2005
Rev. Thomas Orr...................................2005 -
Rev. Nicholas Harpur (1875 - 1876)
He was educated for the priesthlood at Louvain and at St. Patrick's College, Maynooth, where he matriculated on 13th November 1858. Bishop Furlong ordained him with Fr. Patrick Kelly, at the Presentation Convent Chapel, Enniscorthy on 15th August 1864.
He was twice appointed curate in the parish of Clongeen.His first appointment was immediately after his ordination, in August 1864, but this was only for a period of two months. On 24th October he was sent as curate to Boolavogue. He was transferred to Crossabeg in March 1869 and to Rioverchapel in August 1872, to Newtown barry in October 1873. Then he was transferred to CAMOLIN in May 1875 and then to Clongeen in September 1876.
Fr. Harpur died at Foulksmills on 4th February 1880, and was interred in Clongeen Church.
Rev. Patrick Sheil (1876 - 1877)
He was born at Brownswood, Enniscorthy, 1848. He pursued his early studies at St. Peter's College, which he entered in 1864. He was a keen students of the classics. He completed his ecclesiastical studies in Carlow College. He was ordained by Dr. Walshe in Carlow at Pentecost, 7th June 1873.The first three years of his priesthood was spent in the Archdiocese of Birmingham, from 1873 - 1876. He was appointed CC CAMOLIN in September 1876 and transferred to Templeuidigan in May 1877. His next curacy was Galbally, in the parish of Bree, to which he was appointed on 14th January 1883, and it was in this parish he was to spend the remainder of his days. He was appointed PP of Bree on 24th August 1895 and had a pastorate of thirty-five years.
Dean Sheil was a temperance advocate and a supporter of the anti-treating league, which he adavocated strenuously in several letters written to the local newspapers, under the pen name "A Young Canon".
He was a lifelong and steadfast nationalist and a leading member of the land league, both as a curate in Templeuidigan and during his long connection with Bree Parish. He was grteatly aggrieved over the destruction of Wilton, Bellevue, and other magnificent mansions in his parish and throughout the county.
For forty-seven years he was associated with Bree Parish. He was eighty two years old when he died and was very proud of the fact that he and his three predecessors, Mark Canon Devereux, Philip Canon Deveruex, and John Canon Scallan, were the only Parish Priests for more than 150 years, a record for consecutive PPs in a Parish.
Rev. James Boggan (1877 - 1879)
He was the eldest son of Laurence and Mrs. Boggan of Newbay, Wexford. He studdied at St. Peter's College and afterwards at the Vincentian College, Castleknock. He did his theological studies in the University of Louvain and, on his return to Wexford, was ordained at Enniscorthy by Bishop Furlong on 18th October 1875.
For a short time after his ordination Fr. Boggan assisted the Fransciscan Fathers in Wexford, his relative, Ver Rev. Clement Reville, OSF, being the Provincial of the Irish Fransciscans. During that time he lived at the Fransciscan Convent. In December 1876 he was appointed to the curacy of Crossabeg and from there to CAMOLIN in May 1877. His next assignment was Ballymitty where he served from September 1879 until he was appointed to Screen in October 1885.
For the last two years of his life, Fr. Boggan had been in comparatively ill health and was obliged to retire from his curacy in 1895. He died at the residence of his brother at Newbay on the 11th February 1896 and was interred in the cemetery of Screen in a plot chosen by himself. He was forty-six years of age.
Rev. Andrew Kavanagh (1879 -1885)
He was the youngest son of Owen and Mrs. Kavanagh, Ballylucas, Screen, He was educated at St. Peter's College and enetered Maynooth in 1867, where he was ordained on 24th June 1872. He was uncle of Rev. Owen Kavanagh, PP Balygarrett, and of Rev. Patrick Kavanagh, PP Ballycullane.
After his ordination he was sent as an extra curate, to the parish of Glynn. After three years he was transferred to Monaseed in May 1875, when Craanford was separated from Ballyoughter. He remained there until Sptember 1879, when he was transferred to CAMOLIN. After six years he was transferred to the curacy of Rathgarogue in October 1875. On 1st March 1895 he was made PP Rathnure and was transferred to Sutton's Parish as PP on 25th March 1897.
He spent up to £2,000 renovating the parish church. At one stage he removed the gravestones of his predecessors from the floor of the church and offered to dispose of them to parishioners as heartstones, but they refused to have anything to do with them.
Canon Kavanagh died on 7th July 1903 and was buried in the church. He was 57 years of age.
Rev. Andrew Crowe (1885 - 1886)
He was a native of Ballyrea, Oulart. He was a cousin of Rev. Thomas Crowe, CC Bannow, who died in 1952. He was educated at St. Peter's College and Maynooth, where he was a classmate of Cardinal McCrory. He was ordained at the Cathedral, Enniscorthy on 21st September 1884.
His first appointment was to the parish of Craanford in September 1884. In October 1884 he was transferred to BALLYOUGHTER (Camolin & Ballycanew) and to Mayglass in August 1886. He was appointed PP Ballymore on 16th August 1904. He had the rare distinction of being almost fifty years in the one parish. In July 1916 he was made a Canon.
Canon Crowe died on Tuesday, 17th November 1931, he was 76 years of age.
Rev. William Prendergast (1886 - 1887)
He was born at Ballycogley in 1849. He made his early studies at Wexford, under Michael Donnelly, the Tutor of Thomas D'Arcy Magee. He entered St. Peter's College in 1864 and later attended the University of Louvain. On the completion of his course, he returned to Wexford and was ordained by Bishop Furlong, at Enniscorthy on 18th October 1875, less than amonth before the Bishop's death.
For some time after his ordination, he remained in his native parish assisting Very Rev. Thomas Clancy, PP Ballymore who, at that time, was very old and infirm. In October 1877 he was transferred to Ballyfad, and in September 1879, to Murrintown. In September 1880 he was sent as curate to Rathgarogue, in October 1885 to Blackwater and finally to CAMOLIN in August 1886.
Fr. Prendergast died "of congestion of the brain" at Camolin on 1st April 1887, in the 38th year of his age. His remains were conveyed by train to Wexford, en route for Ballymore, "accompanied by one hundred and thirty vehicles, in addition to equestrians". His remains were laid to rest in Ballymore Church.
Rev. Denis Kavanagh (1887 - 1888)
He was a member of the Kavanagh family of Templederry in the Gorey district, and brother of Rev. Matthew E. Kavanagh, CC Blackwater, who died in 1896. They were nephews of Canon Foley of Glynn.
Denis Kavanagh entered Maynooth College in September 1880 and was ordained there by Dr. Walshe on 20th June 1886.
His first appointment was as curate to the parish of Ballycyullane, on 27th September 1886. Subsequently he was appointed to CAMOLIN in February 1887, to Blackwater in December 1888, to Raheen in September 1892 and finally to Clongeen in September 1894. He retired in January 1889 and died suddenly on 23rd November 1911. He was interred in Little Cullenstown Chapel.
Rev. Edward Brennan (1888 - 1890)
He was born at Forrest near Taghmon, on 11th October 1836. He was nephew of Very Rev. Loftus Brennan PP Taghmon. He received his education at St. Peter's College, Wexford, and Carlow College, where he was ordained on 4th May 1864, by Most Rev. Dr. Walshe.
He was appointed CC Courtnacuddy on 7th August 1864. CC Barntown on 1st December 1886 and CC CAMOLIN in October 1888.
In August 1874 he acknowledged receiopt of £100 from Lord Carew for the building of a curate's residence at Courtnacuddy. " I acknowledge the receipt of £100, the unsolicited and munificent subscription of the Honourable Lord Carew, Castelboro, towards the erection of a curate's residence, at Courtnacuddy Chapel, together with a half acre of land, free forever....I beg also to state that his lordship has already contributed another £100 towards the erection of the new Church at Courtnacuddy."
Fr. Brennan died at his residence, Camolin, 10th November 1890, and his remains were interred in the family burial ground at Whitechurch-glynn.
Rev. James Redmond (1891 - 1892)
He was born in the parish of Ballygarrett in the year 1865. He was educated at St. Peter's College and pursued his divinity course in Maynooth from 1884 - 1891. He was ordained at St. Peter's College on 18th January 1891.
In the same month he was appointed curate in CAMOLIN and, in February of 1892 he was appointed CC Gorey, where he ministered for twenty-two years, before his appointment to Cushinstown as Parish Priest, on 1st February 1914. On 16th May 1919, he was transferred to Horeswood and he was raised to the Chapter in 1926.
He was the uncle of Rev. Sylvester O' Byrne and Rev. Thaddeus O' Byrne, who were natives of Casteltown, and Rev. Aidan Redmond, PP Adamstown.
Canon Redmond who was 88 years of age, died at Horeswood on Saturday, 12th September 1953.
Rev. Aidan Forrestal (1892 - 1893)
He was born in 1869 in Rathnure, a parish which produced at least thirty priests over a period of fifty years up to the time of Fr. Forrestal's death. He was the son of Richard and Mrs. Forrestal of Rathnure, and nephew of Very Rev. Matthew Sinnott, PP Piercestown and grand-nephew of Very Rev. Myles Canon Doran, PP Castlebridge.
He was educated at Rathnure, and from there he went ot St. Peter's College and then to Maynooth in 1884, where he excelled in the study of the classics. He was ordained in Maynooth on 21st June 1891.
His first appointment after ordination was to Wexford in June 1891. He was transferred to CAMOLIN in February 1892 and then to Kilanerin in November 1893. In June 1899 he was transferred to the curacy of Blackwater. Bishop Browne promoted him to the Pastorate of Bunclody on 15th August 1914. He carried out much needed repairs to the Parochial House, Bunclody during his term of Office there and he built St. Aidan's Hall in 1916. The Civil War of 1922 - 23 caused him much distress resulting in a breakdown in health, but he rallied and on the 23rd December 1924, after the death of Canon Doyle, PP VF, he was transferred to Ferns.
On his departure the Parish of Bunclody was divided into two separate parochial divisions, Bunclody and Marashalstrown.
Early in January 1925, Fr. Forrestal took over the Parish of Ferns, but he was only six weeks in Ferns when he was stricken with paralysis, as he was reading the last gospel of the Mass on Sunday 15th February. He died on 1st March 1925 and was interred in the new cemetery, Fr. Forrestal was in his sixtieth year.
Rev. Patrick Doyle (1893 - 1900)
( See above under Camoin Parish Priests)
Rev. Owen Kehoe (1900 - 1919)
He was the son of John and Mrs. Kehoe, Aughmore, The Ballagh. He was educated at St. Peter's College, Wexford and Maynooth. He was ordained at St. Peter's College on 26th February 1900. His one and only curacy was CAMOLIN, where he spent the nineteen years of his priesthood. He was brother of Rev. Andrew Kehoe, who died in Mulranking in 1926.
During his nineteen years in Camolin, Fr. Kehoe worked hard for the improvement of the curacy. He renovated the church at Camolin, erected the belfry and built the curate's residence. He also purchased a considerable amount of parochial land.
He was an ardent patriot, and from his earliest years, was a most devoted Gaelic Leaguer. He devoted much time to the study of the revival of Gaelic Ireland.
Fr. Kehoe spent the last few weeks of his life at St. John's Home, Wexford, under the care of the Sisters of St. John Of God. He died in the forty-sixth year of his age, on the 26th February 1919, the nineteenth anniversary of his ordination and was interred in Camolin. The Village Hall in Camolin is called after him.
Rev. William Fortune (1913 - 1917. 1918 - 1919)
He was a native of Tullispark, Cleristown. He was educated at St. Peter's College and ordained there on 20th September 1913.
His first Curacy was BALLYCANEW, to which he was appointed on his ordination day. He went to France as a Chaplain to the Forces in May 1917 and, at the termination of the war was reappointed to Ballycanew and then appointed to the curacy of Kilanerin on 16th May 1919. He was transferred to Kiltealy on 17th June 1926 and became CC New Ross on 7th February 1931.
While in Ballycanew he organised a most successful Bazaar to liquidate the debt incurred by the building of the new church and, while in Kiltealy, he built a school and made some improvements to the church. In New Ross he was spiritual director to the parish choir. He was extremely charitable to the poor.
Fr. Fortune died at the Richmond Hospital, Dublin on Sunday 22nd October 1939. He had been ill for a few weeks.
Rev. Kevin Doyle (1917 - 1919)
He was born at Shankill, Co. Dublin, where his father was a stationmaster; he had previously been stationmaster at Gorey. He was educated at St. Peter's College, Wexford, where he was ordained on 14th. June 1914.
His first appointment was CC Wexford on 18th September 1914. In May 1917 he was appointed CC BALLYCANEW, to replace Rev. William Fortune and to assist Rev. Owen Kehoe CC Camolin who was in bad health.
In the final months of 1918 Fr. Kevin Doyle was a victim of the great 'flu epidemic which nearly proved fatal for him.
On 16th of May, both curates were transferred, Fr. William Fortune to Balyfad and Fr. Kevin Doyle to Kilmyshall. On 8th May 1928 Fr. Kevin was transferred to Ballyfad, from which he left for San Franscisco in August 1930 with his friend Rev. John Hanton, CC Tinahely. They accompanied the Rt. Rev. Monsignor Rodgers, St. Patrick's, San Franscisco, who had been on a holiday in his native Enniscorthy. Both Fr. Hanton and Fr. Doyle died in America.
Rev. Martin Ryan (1919 - 1922)
He was the son of John & Mrs. Ryan, Tomcoole. He received his early education at St. Peter's College and then went to Maynooth, where he was ordained on 23rd June 1907. He also did a post-graduate course at the Dunboyne Establishment, where he received the BD Degree in 1908.
In September 1908 he joined the staff of St. Peter's College where he remained until he was appointed curate in Wexford, at the Church of The Assumption, 18th September 1914. On 16th May 1919 he was transferred to CAMOLIN, prior to his taking up of the curacy of Poulfur on 14th May 1922.
He took a special interest in the social welfare of the people. He was an ardent Gaelic Leaguer and was a fluent Irish speaker.
Fr. Ryan died suddenly at the Co. Hospital, Wexford, on Thursday, 21st February 1929, from blood poisoning.
Rev. Thomas Crowe (1919 - 1921)
He was a native of Cullentra. He was born about the year 1882 and was educated at St. Peter's College. He was ordained on 25th May 1907. After ordination Fr. Crowe, accompanied by Fr. Micahel Darcy, and Fr. Patrick Nolan went on a temporary mission to California. Fr. Nolan remained in America where he died in August 1944.
OPn his return Fr. Crowe was appointed curate of Ballyfad on 1st February 1914. He was transferred to BALLYCANEW on 16th May 1919, but had to retire at Easter 1920 owing to bad health. He was sent to Bunclody on 15th October 1921, but the state of his health forced him to retire again in May 1922. He returned to duty once again on the 21st of February 1926 when he was appointed curate in Monamolin. He was curate at Annacurra from 19th October 1937, and came to Bannow on 4th September 11944.
Fr. Crowe died unexpectedly on Friday 18th April 1952.
Rev. James Crosbie (1920 - 1925)
He was a native of Bannow and was educated for the priesthood in Maynooth College where he was ordained on 23rd June 1907.
In October 1907 he was appointed to the curacy of Poulpeasty. He was transferred to Clongeen, 10th November 1909, to CAMOLIN 20th June 1920; to Cleristown, 17th November 1925. He retired in February 1934 and died on 17th January 1958, aged 76 years.
He is reputed to have invented a number of useful devices, some of which were patented.
Rev. Francis O' Rourke (1922 - 1923)
He was the son of Edward and Mrs. O' Rourke, The Old Pound, Wexford. He was educated for the priesthood at St. Peter's College, Wexford, and continued his studies at the University of Louvain, where he spent five years. He then returned to Ireland and was ordained at Maynooth on 29th June 1880 by Most Rev. Dr. McCabe.
While awaiting a vacancy in the diocese of Ferns he volunteered, with Rev. William Hanton, in response to the call of Most Rev. Dr. Rickards, a Wexfordman, who had been in Wexford that year, looking for priests and sisters for his mission in the Cape of Good Hope. Fr. O' Rourke and Fr. Hanton sailed for the African Mission in 1880.
Although he intended to remain in South Africa for only a brief period, Fr. O' Rourke was destined to spend twenty years there, ministering in many places in the doiocese of Most Rev. Dr. Rickards in Cape Colony. When, after twenty years, he returned to his home in Wexford, he was appointed to the curacy of Riverchapel; on 24th August 1900. He became ill and had to retire on 20th July 1913. Having recovered his health, he was appointed CC Poulfur, September 1914. On 14th May 1922 he was sent as CC to CAMOLIN and he became PP Glynn on 17th September 1923.
Fr. O' Rourke was a priest for fifty-five years. He was an enthusiastic supporter of the Gaelic League. He wa also interested in education and provided new schools in Glynn.
Fr. O' Rourke died on Thursday, 17th October 1935, in a Wexford private nursing home, after a brief illness, he was 79 years of age.
Rev. Matthew Wickham (1923 - 1936)
He was the son of Michael and Mrs. Wickham, Youngstown, Taghmon. He was educated at St. Peter's College where he was ordained on 10th August 1907. In his youth he excelled in field sports and in 1905 he played with Wexford in the Leinster Football Championship.
His first appointment was to Ballygarrett, 20th November 1907, where he was assistant to his uncle, Canon Fanning. On Canon Fanning's death he was transferred on 1st August 1908 to be CC Cleristown. He was appointed CC Wexford, August 1912; CC CAMOLIN, 18th September 1923, and PP Oylegate, 27th March 1936.
During his fifteen years in Oylegate he beautified the interior of the parish church by painting, decorating and attractive mosaic work.
During the Civil War he attended James Parle, John Creane anmd Patrick Hogan before their executioin in Wexford Jail. On the morning of their execution, Rev. Patrick Walsh, CC Taghmon, walked with them to face the firing squad.
Fr. Wickham died at Ely House Nursing Home, Wexford, on 30th May 1951.
Rev. William Webb (1925 - 1941)
He was the only child of Patrick and Catherine Webb, Mount Alexander, Gorey. He studdied for the priesthood at St. Peter's College, Wexford, where he was ordained on 29th May 1924. After ordination, he spent one year in Rome, where he obtained his Doctorate of Canon Law degree. When he returned from Rome he was appointed CC BALLYCANEW on 17th November 1925. Here he remained until June 1941, when at the suggestion of the Bishop, he retired.
Fr. Webb was noted for his devotion to the Little Flower and people visited him to request his prayers so that, through her intercession, they might be granted their temporal and spiritual needs. He had the reputation of being a thaumaturgist and many people flocked to him with their problems and difficulties. He was, for a long number of years, Chaplain to Gorey District Hospital.
Fr. Webb died at St. Brigid's Convalescent Home, Kilternan, Co. Dublin, on Saturday 28th April 1957, and his remains are interred in Ardamine Cemetery.
Rev. Tobias Furlong (1936 - 1965)
He was the son of M. J. and Mrs. Furlong, Tgemplescoby House, Enniscorthy.
Fr. Furlong received his early education at Davidstown National School, Enniscorthy Christian Brothers, The Cistercian School at Mount Melleray, and later at St. Peter's College where he was ordained on June 1st 1930.
He was first appointed as curate to Horeswood on 11th November 1930, after which he was sent to CAMOLIN on 27th March 1936, where he spent twenty-eight years. On 9th January 1965 he wa made Parish Priest of Tagoat.
In his young days he was a prominent footballer and hurler with St. Peter's College teams. He also played the game of cricket.
Fr. Furlong was an authority on County Wexford Family History and was chairman of the Uí Cinsealaigh Historical Society.
He died in Ely Nursing Home, Wexford, after a short illness on Tuesday 13th May 1975.
Rev. Edward Prendergast (1941 - 1947)
He was born in Castlrea, Co. Roscommon, where his father was a National Teacher. On the death of his parents, he came to reside with his Aunt, Mrs. Mongey, NT, formerly Bridget Byrne, in Templeuidigan. Having attended the local school, he went to St .Peter's College, where he was ordained on 9th June 1935.
His first appointment was to Murrintown, 27th March 1936; then to BALLYCANEW, 23rd June 1941; and Galbally, 9th June 1947, where he built a new school and renovated the church and presbytery. He was appointed CC Kilmore Quay on 17th September 1951. During his time in Kilmore Quay he undertook the building of Stella Maris Hall.
Fr. Prendergast was only 42 years old when he died on 25th November 1952. He was the first person to be buried in the new cemetery in Kilmore.
Rev. Thaddeus O' Byrne ( 1947 - 1955)
He was a native of Castletown, near Arklow, and brother of Very Rev. Sylvester O' Byrne. He was educated locally and at St. Peter's College, where he was ordained on 15th May 1932.
He was first appointed as curate in Glynn on 16th November 1932. From Glynn he moved to Clongeen, 7th November 1935; to BALLYCANEW, 7th June 1947; to Kilmuckridge, 19th September 1955; to Ballymitty, 19th June 1956, and finally to Newbawn, as PP, on 9th January 1965. He was made Canon some years before his death.
Canon O' Byrne died at Ely House Nursing Home, Wexford, on 23rd May 1985. He was interred in the cemetery of the Church grounds where his predecessors Canon O' Brien and Canon Murphy were also buried.
It is of interest to note that only three parish priests served in Newbawn parish from 1901 - 1985. Canon O' Byrne, at 79 years old, was the youngest of them when he passed away.
Rev. Francis Staples (1955 - 1959)
He is the son of Francis and Margaret Staples, nee O' Dwyer, Wexford. He was born in 1922. He was educated at the Christian Brothers, George's Street, Wexford, 1926 - 1928; Piercestown National School, 1928 -1933; St. Peter's College, 1933 - 1940; and Maynooth, 1940 - 1947. He was ordained at Maynooth on 22nd June 1947.
His first appointment was to Edinburgh, Scotland, 1947 - 1948. He was appointed curate at Kilmuckridge on 27th September 1948, and transferred to BALLYCANEW on 19th September 1955. He was a curate in the Ballagh from 22nd June 1959 until he was appointed Parish Priest of Craanford on 22nd June 1974. During his pastorate he converted the Church Sacristy into an oratory for weekday Masses. He retired on 15th September 1989.
Rev. Joseph L. Kehoe (1959 - 1969)
He is the son of Micheal Kehoe, NT and Margaret Kehoe, Nee Wadding, Glynn, was born in 1935, nephew of Very Rev. Joseph Wadding. He was educated at Glynn National School, St. Peter's College and St. Peter's Seminary and was ordained at St. Peter's College on 31st May 1959.
He was appointed curate in BALLYCANEW on 22nd June 1959; Spiritual Director at St. Peter's College, 1st September 1969; CC New Ross, 3rd July 1976; Parish Priest of Clonard 28th July 1985; and Parish Priest of Craanford 17th September 1994. Fr. Kehoe was appointed Vicar General of the Diocese of Ferns in 1998 and PP of Gorey in September 1999.
Rev. James L. Curtis (1964 - 1965)
( See above under Camolin Parish Priests)
Rev. Daniel Nolan (1965 - 1970)
He is the son of Martin and Mrs. Nolan, Clonee, Camolin, was educated at Ballyduff National School and later at Rockwell College. He studdied for the priesthood at St. Peter's College, where he was ordained by Most Rev James Staunton on 5th June 1960.
His first appointment was as curate to Very Rev. Richard Gaul, PP Bree, on 20th June 1960,where he remained until the 15th August 1965, when he was transferred to CAMOLIN. On 10th January 1970 he was transferred to Wexford and became CC in Clonard on 3rd July 1976. He was transferred to Caim on 7th July 1979 and was appoointed PP Craanford on 16th September 1989. He retired on 17th September 1994.
Rev. John J. Nolan (1969 - 1979)
He is a native of Quay Street, New Ross and brother of Very Rev. Robert Nolan, was educated at New Ross and St. Peter's College, where he was ordained on 1st June 1969.
He was appointed curate in BALLYCANEW / BALLYOUGHTER on 1st September 1969 and transferred to Askamore on 7th July 1979. He left the Diocese of Ferns on 3rd October 1987 and went to Orlando, Florida, and subsequently left the ministry.
Rev. Joseph Kavanagh (1979 - 1999)
( See above under CAMOLIN Parish Priests)
Rev. Colm Murphy (1999 - 2005)
He was born in 1952, son of P.N. and Maureen Murphy, nee Cullen, of Kilrane, Rosslare Harbour. He was educated at Kilrane N.S. 1957 - 1965; Good Counsel College, New Ross, 1965 - 1970; St. Peter's Seminary,
1970 - 1976. He was ordained at St. Patrick's Church, Rosslare Harbour on 28th November 1976.
After ordination he was attached to the House of Missions, 1977 - 1987; St. Senan's Parish, 1987 - 1989; St. Peter's College 1989 - 1994; curate at Clonard 1994 - 1999, and BALLYCANEW / BALLYOUGHTER, June 1999 - September 2005.
Rev. Thomas Orr ( 2005 - )
He was born in 1970, Son of John and Ann Orr, nee Doyle, of Coolnaleen, Camolin. He was educated at Ballyduff NS, 1974 - 1982; Gorey Vocational School, 1982 - 1988, Kildalton Agricultural College, 1988 - 1989, St. Peter's Seminary, 1994 -1998, St. Patrick's College, Maynooth, 1998 - 1999.
He was ordained to the Diaconate in St. Aidan's Cathedral, Enniscorthy, on 30th January 2000. Having spent a period as deacon in the Archdiocese of Westminister, he was ordained to the priesthood at Ballyduff Church on 24th. September 2000. Following his ordination he was appointed to St. Aidan's Cathedral and in September 2005 he was transferred to BALLYCANEW / BALLYOUGHTER.